NXP Announces Miniaturized “IoT-on-a-Chip” Solution to Advance the Future of Edge Computing
NXP Semiconductors announced its new IoT-on-a-Chip that significantly advances the future of edge computing. The scalable offering packs NXP’s ARM-based i.MX applications processor, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth into a much smaller size, bringing a broad range of functionality, security and connectivity to IoT devices.
The new chip addresses the daunting task of designing applications for extremely size-constrained IoT devices. As a system-level miniaturized solution, IoT-on-a-Chip delivers the necessary performance, scalability and small footprint for developers to fast-track their designs into production.
“Representing a major step in the evolution from on-board offerings to the future vision of IoT-on-a-Chip, our highly integrated solution completely demystifies the Internet of Things,” said Martyn Humphries, vice president of i.MX applications processors for industrial and consumer markets with NXP. “NXP’s forward-looking design approach will provide customers with far greater efficiencies across their systems, allowing them to accelerate their time to market for products – at no additional cost.”
Flexible, future-proof solution from proven market leaders
IoT-on-a-Chip brings together the pre-integrated features from NXP’s i.MX applications processor family and Wi-Fi/Bluetooth solutions for consumer and industrial developers to quickly build compact IoT products using proven solutions.
Key features include:
- High performance compute and connectivity
- Arm Cortex-A7 applications processor provides performance and power efficiency
- High bandwidth Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2
- Reference Wi-Fi certified module solution with proven Wi-Fi/BT software stacks
- i.MX applications processors provide advanced security implementation for secure boot, tamper detection and response, and high throughput cryptography
- For additional physical security, IoT-on-a-chip can be expanded with its custom inter-chip interface to include a secure element without increasing the package footprint
- Tight integration, compact footprint
- 14mm x 14mm x 2.7mm solution includes applications processor and Wi-Fi/BT in a single footprint
- Package design allows DDR memory direct connect via pass-through board layout simplifies PCB design and provides additional space savings
- Scalable and modular
- Access different levels of i.MX performance in the same 14x14 body size, using the same inter-chip interface
- Footprint compatible top-modules provide a range of Wi-Fi/BT options suited to your application